Monday, January 18, 2010

Bible in 90 Days Update

Today we are being asked to update where we are in our reading and share how it is going. I am astonished to say I am on schedule! I read in the evening so I have yesterday's reading done and am just getting ready to start today's reading.

For some strange reason I had thought I would have plenty of time to read while sitting in the hospital with Miss Pear - that didn't happen. She was so alert even the day of surgery that we were sitting there with her while she dozed but not slept, and the other days she was really awake and wanting to chat, see the puppies (therapy dogs that come to visit the children), do music therapy (therapist and patient play instruments and sing together, he set her up in bed with drums), and walk to see the baby peanuts (there were a lot of babies in CVICU - cardiovascular ICU). So I was reading lots at home after Baby was in bed to stay caught up (Daddy stayed at the hospital the whole time, and I went back and forth because Baby is still nursing first thing in the morning and last thing at night).

The volume of Bible reading is really something that has been blessing me and encouraging me.

I do have one question though, it comes from Joshua 1:

Josh. 1:12 And to the Reubenites, the Gadites, and half the tribe of Manasseh Joshua spoke, saying,
Josh. 1:13 “Remember the word which Moses the servant of the LORD commanded you, saying, ‘The LORD your God is giving you rest and is giving you this land.’

So often we see this in the OT, and I am wondering why this particular phraseology, why not OUR God? Is it because:
  1. It was just the way they spoke?
  2. They wanted Joshua to know that God was his God and not just the God of the people, but the God of individuals?
  3. Was it a sign of the general apostacy and indifference that plagued Israel?
  4. Some other reason?
What are your thoughts on this? If my research does not yield info soon I will be emailing my pastor to ask because this is something that bugs me each and every time I read it, has for years, but now I am determined to get to the bottom of it.

How is your Bible reading going? Are you doing the 90 Days? If so, where are you? If not what are doing to be purposeful in reading? I would love to hear how your quiet time is going and what God is teaching you.

1 comment:

Carina said...

Hmmm...these are just my thoughts, but bear in mind I have an English degree not one in Theology! :)

I always thought that when Moses or Joshua addressed the Israelites and said "your God" he was reminding the people that the LORD ALONE was their God and that HE had specifically chosen them to be His people. (And from today's reading, it appears the Israelites needed LOTS of reminders of whom alone they were to be worshipping!) Does that make any sense? Sometimes things that make perfect sense in my head don't translate onto paper so well! ;)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin