Sunday, January 3, 2010

2010 Goals

Setting goals at the end of December seems odd this year as very little will happen in January aside from caring for my family, in particular Miss Pear as she has open heart surgery. I anticipate that one of the hardest things to do will be to keep my 2 girls from climbing all over each other as they play and cuddle once the patient feels on the mend, our 2 girls love each other.

Nevertheless, here we go:

Scripture - read by myself daily (yes, I am terribly embarrassed to have to say that I have struggled in this area)
  1. Read the Bible in 90 Days from January 1 - March 31.
  2. Pick up Reading at that point using the Discipleship Journal Book by Book plan.
  3. Get back into the early morning quiet time routine! (Baby is finally settling down at night and for the last couple nights is just getting up for 1 soaked diaper as opposed to multiple tangled in my crib wake ups, but still wants to nurse between 5 and 6AM so I put her back to sleep for a but more, but once we are all recovered this would be the way to get up early to read and pray). I have no delusions of starting this one before February at the earliest.
Scripture with the Girls
  1. Continue Breakfast Bible Time
  2. Add tea time Bible reading using Draw to Learn, The Life of Jesus.
School Time
  1. Continue in this area with the subjects we have started, finishing Saxon Math K by August. (we are already a month behind with stuff happening, and I anticipate missing most of January).
  2. Add in Catechism
  3. Find a way to include Baby more as she drops her morning nap, or at least keep her entertained. (Would love any ideas in this area!)
  4. Have the fall plan mapped out by the end of June (I am thinking of adding History Read Aloud and the Rod and Staff Reading).
Pantry - in the past year and a bit I have learned the value of a well stocked pantry as Baby was born, had meningitis, hip dysplasia and treatment for a cyst in her mouth and Miss Pear is going to need open heart surgery, and Mr. Pear's company issued a pay cut to all employees effective the very next pay check. Basically, life happens and we live in California, great reason to be more prepared in this area. However, I want to be more intentional about this, and more organized. So I have a plan.
  1. Try 1 pantry meal a week (even if fresh stuff can be substituted, if it can be made solely from the pantry it counts.) Please share your favorites with me!
  2. Make a binder of pantry meals.
  3. Have the ingredients on hand for those meals.
  4. Explore various pantry substitutions.
  5. Continue to stockpile via coupons, sales and Costco. Try online source (yes, I picked one out to try, but will not point it out until I have actually tried it).
General Kitchen Goals
  1. Continue to cook through More with Less and Extending the Table (yes, this was on the list last year, but we got sidetracked!)
  2. Keep an updated list of meals that are prepared in the freezer.
  3. Update, clean out, and reprint my recipe binder.
  4. Can again this year making more salsa, fruits, and tomatoes. (Remember to start when Roma tomatoes first appear on sale early spring).
  5. Begin formal kitchen time with Miss Pear where I let her try more and do more. (What could a 4 and a half year old take the lead on and make mostly herself with help?)
Household
  1. Get back on my cleaning schedule
  2. Finish my started sewing projects
  3. Find a way to sew at least a little bit 2 or 3 days a week - goal: half hour windows.
  4. Crochet 2 baby blankets for babies being born in February and May (pink and blue respectively).
  5. Figure out downstairs window treatments.
  6. Paint our room.
Reading - Get through some of this to be read pile before it tips and buries us all! Actually, my goal is to finish one spiritually significant book a month, even if I don't necessarily agree with it (i.e. no more saying it annoys me and tossing it back in the pile, if I really cannot read it, get rid of it!)

I think that is it, but as the year goes on this list seems to always change a bit. However, this is a great place to start!

Do you have any ideas or recipes to help?

What is on your list this year?

1 comment:

Dianna said...

Here are some of my favorite pantry meals:

http://be-it-ever-so-humble-recipes.blogspot.com/2009/11/garlicky-white-bean-soup.html
http://be-it-ever-so-humble-recipes.blogspot.com/2009/06/black-bean-soup.html
http://be-it-ever-so-humble-recipes.blogspot.com/2009/04/tuna-casserole.html
http://be-it-ever-so-humble-recipes.blogspot.com/2009/04/linguine-with-clam-sauce.html

I am really pushing for having family breakfast together this year. Things kind of fell apart when Baby came, and I'm ready to get back to the way it should be.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin