Growing up in Central Canada meant that cornbread was pretty much unknown to us, until we moved down here. Then we saw it everywhere. Some of the first cornbread we had was dry and flavorless, leaving us saying that we were not fans.
But then we had good cornbread, paired with chili, and we changed our minds, we liked it!
The only problem is that we cannot find a recipe for moist, flavorful cornbread. And everyone I ask for a recipe who has one like that says it is a mix!
There must surely be a recipe out there that fits that description that does not involve a mix!
Do you know of one that you could share with me???
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



![[the-library.jpg]](https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjZlgbkzq4RFoBQc3lUKiqnqmqJKJ_OvF8tsg4xUtv3A6fDdV2iaYc-f2GJHGXNypj1LPHuqZ8UPUpK7aA0NY7wN5lyaEYmIfFqYSDIxPYzg_rBBouE60A0LABiXUbdI73MhHN24Xb7-nc/s1600/the-library.jpg)





5 comments:
I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but this is my recipe:
1 cup cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 tsp honey
1 egg
1 tblsp olive oil
½ cup water
¼ cup buttermilk
dab of oil for skillet
Put dab of oil in small cornbread skillet and put in oven at 350 degrees while mixing up batter. Mix dry. Mix wet. Mix together. Immediately pull out skill and run the oil all around it and then pour in the batter. Bake for 25 minutes.
I make mine in a half-size cast iron skillet, you would have to double it to make it in a 10-inch skillet or a 9x9 pan.
You can also substitute a live active yogurt for the buttermilk.
I hope it works for you. This cornbread is a nice crumbly old southern cornbread. I never heard of using wheat flour in cornbread until recently and I don't see that as real cornbread.
:-D
Oh my, YES, YES, YES!!! And we are having it tonight...I'll post on my blog as an excuse for posting:) We LOVE this recipe! I usually make it in a 9X13 pan, but it makes wonderful muffins, too. The recipe is easily halved if you don't want as much, though when we make chili, there can never be enough corn bread to go around!
I just posted 2 recipes under the subject title of "We plan to have a rootn' tootn' good time". It's got my Menu Plan Monday listed and then there's the recipes. Luckily you don't have to go too far into it, under the first one for White Beans is two - one is an iron skillet one (you can make in a regular pan also) that serves 6 and isn't as sweet (and you can leave the sugar out if you want to). The other one makes a 9x13 pan and is sweet -almost cake-like. I'm not sure what kind of cornbread you like, we like both types here. You can use either color of cornmeal and I give directions on how to make self-rising cornmeal in the first recipe too.
I also dislike the dry flavorless cornbread. We make a delicious moist kind that is slightly sweet. It is so good with butter and honey on top.
I had this with chili for lunch today. So yummy!
Take Care,
Trixie
I hOpe this recipe posts correctly! I found it at Kelli's blog, There's No Place Like Home. It is very moist and delicious and could easily be made in a round pan instead of muffin tins.
Blessings, Mrs. Pear!
His,
Mrs. U
Country Cornbread Muffins
12 servings
1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup milk
Combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking soda and salt. Whisk together the egg, sour cream, oil and milk. Stir into the dry ingredients just until combined. Spoon into greased muffin tin. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until top is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm with butter and enjoy!
Post a Comment