Monday, January 7, 2008

A New Year, A New Card and Gift File

This is my last post in this little mini series, and believe it or not, this is my best kept secret.

Except for the couple months after our daughter was born my cards are always on time, I don't forget, and I don't miss occasions.

My friends are always shocked, and impressed.

But the secret is, I make my computer work for me!

I have all birthdays and occasions in an online planner with reminders set for two weeks to a month ahead of time, depending on what is appropriate, and I look each Monday (other times too, but I make a point of Mondays).

I have an Excel file with 4 workbooks in it for Christmas Presents, Christmas Cards, Other Presents and other Cards sorted by date and recipient and includes item, cost, store, if I bought it, if it is wrapped, where I hid it, and if I shipped it.

While it is a big job the first time I set it up, now with each new year I save it under the new year, clear out last year's cards and presents, and it is all set with names and dates pre-filled, waiting to be filled with cards and gifts purchases all over again. It saves me from running to the store at the last minute, and wondering who in the world I bought that for!

Possibly over the top, but it really does work incredibly well for me!

1 comment:

Dianna said...

What a wonderful idea! I don't think it's over the top at all. We home executives need to use all our resources. At one point I had a reminder e-mailed to me to water my plants! (They died anyway, by the way.)

Thanks for always sharing your organizational ideas. They're always so inspiring, and it's one area that would bring me a lot of peace of mind if I'd get it together.

By the way, I tagged you for a meme if you want to play.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin