Tuesday, January 1, 2008

A New Year, A Fresh Start

There is something about the New Year that gets me going. And I cannot figure out exactly what it is.

But on January 1 we do the same thing each year.

We watch the Rose Bowl parade, and take down the tree - usually by this time all the other decorations are gone except for the Christmas tree and Christmas serving plates and table linens that I will use tonight still. (I pack these in the open first/pack last box that also has our Christmas books and music!)

I make a big brunch, which we eat while watching the parade. The menu is always the same:
  • Waffles
  • Strawberry syrup (home made of course!)
  • Whip cream (with icing sugar and vanilla)
  • Sausages
Supper will be Ribs, sweet potato fries and a salad (only the salad type varies).

It is our tradition, a nice quiet day.

But when I wake up on January 2 it is back to normal. Everything from Christmas is put away and all the new stuff has a home. Sure there might be little projects to be done (like putting a shelf in the built in to hold more of Miss Pear's books), but vast majority is done.

So I am not starting the year behind, I am giving myself every advantage to be off to a good start for the year!

When do you put your decorations away?

4 comments:

Jen said...

Oh, we try to have it all put away by this time of day, but hunny had the chance to go do something fun with friends and I wanted to gift him time to go and have fun. So, tomorrow night it is! Life with three children has evolved ever so nicely into something very, very flexible!
Happy 2008 to you!

Anonymous said...

We will take ours down this weekend. DH and I were away visiting family most of last week and arrived home on Sunday evening. Then late that night ds (4)became ill...so, we've been caring for a sick little and hope that he is well soon and we'll take care of the decorations later.

Reviekat said...

You'll probably laugh but I don't start putting Christmas things away until about January 10th! All of us love the festive atmosphere so much that we decided to extended the time frame for putting everything away. Several of my friends make fun of me but that's okay!

Maggie said...

We took stuff down today. I am ready to get a jump start on the new year.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin