For today's check in I thought I would also share some of what I am learning. I am trying to get back into the habit of opening my Bible and notebook at the same time, otherwise I never actually open the notebook to make notes unless it is something profound or a clear "slap you upside the head" kind of lesson (to quote my old small group!)
Lessons from the last 2ish weeks - just the big ones.
In my last Bible in 90 Days update (2 weeks ago) I was wondering why:
I do have one question though, it comes from Joshua 1:
Josh. 1:12 And to the Reubenites, the Gadites, and half the tribe of Manasseh Joshua spoke, saying,
Josh. 1:13 “Remember the word which Moses the servant of the LORD commanded you, saying, ‘The LORD your God is giving you rest and is giving you this land.’
So often we see this in the OT, and I am wondering why this particular phraseology, why not OUR God?
In my research I discovered that what the people were saying is that if they saw evidence that the Lord was leading Joshua they would indeed follow him. Interesting.
So now on to new stuff.
1 Samuel 17:34-37 - I had a note in my Bible that we should not despise small opportunities because they prepare us for larger opportunities; David tending the flock prepared him to tend and lead God's people. I also felt strongly that the Lord was teaching me to not despise small blessings, to practice accepting small blessings because that prepares me for big blessings. (Just say yes, please, thank you! when people offer help!) This is a big lesson I am working on.
1 and 2 Kings are so depressing to read. Even King David disappoints me at the end of his reign when he is such an indecisive leader, not acting as clearly or deliberately as he should, often splitting the difference or doing nothing. However, what is most depressing is the lack of godly kings. For example, Judah has 20 kings, but only 8 are considered to be good. And even the godly kings cannot seem to turn the tide of evil! 2 Kings 23:25 says that there was no king like Josiah who turned so completely to the Lord, and yet in 2 Kings 23:36-37 we read that his son did evil in the sight of the Lord. So sad. It reminded me that we must be deliberate in teaching our children about God and encouraging them in His ways, we cannot assume that they will just "catch it" in our house or that the church will do a good enough job, it is up to us parents to step up and take responsibility to teach our children about God.
I was struck by 1 Chronicles 13:7 - this is how the Philistines moved the ark, not how God said to move the ark. It was a strong reminder that we must constantly be seeking God and His ways! and in 14:12 to be RUTHLESS in removing that which opposes God in our lives.
Lastly, what struck me was 1 Chronicles 28:9, the idea of a loyal heart and willing mind. Still mulling that one around.
Achieving my goal
When we started this, I was up front and honest in saying I was not pleased with how my Bible reading was going (I cannot imagine God was either), and that I was determined to do all in my power to change that. I knew that the more I read the Bible, the more I would want to read. When we started it was tough to get through the entire day's reading, really tough, especially once the initial enthusiasm of a new plan wore off and the reality of the work required and life in general kicked in. But I persisted. I am stubborn that way. Already I see where it is getting easier, where the joy is definitely coming back, and there have been days when I was a bit surprised to realize I was done.
God is definitely starting to speak to me more clearly through scripture, although it could also be that I am finally hearing better. As I mentioned I am taking out my notebook and opening it at the same time I open my Bible, and I am definitely writing lots down with today's writings being particularly pointed and encouraging.
I have also started getting up earlier to read in the morning. Often Baby gets up to nurse between 5 and 6, so I have started just staying up. I get dressed, turn on the coffee and start reading. To help in this endeavor, the night before I get the coffee ready so all I have to do is hit the start button, and lay out sweats and a sweatshirt with my Bible study bag beside. This works well.
How is your Bible reading going so far this year? (Even if you are not doing the 90 Days) What is God teaching you?
Check over at Mom's Toolbox for more Bible in 90 Days Check ins.



![[the-library.jpg]](https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjZlgbkzq4RFoBQc3lUKiqnqmqJKJ_OvF8tsg4xUtv3A6fDdV2iaYc-f2GJHGXNypj1LPHuqZ8UPUpK7aA0NY7wN5lyaEYmIfFqYSDIxPYzg_rBBouE60A0LABiXUbdI73MhHN24Xb7-nc/s1600/the-library.jpg)





3 comments:
I thought that was an excellent question: how is your Bible reading going? Good to be accountable:) Prompted me to post about it, too. I love when the Lord leads us in unexpected directions and is so faithful to us as we stretch and grow. Keep up the good work with the 90 day challenge!
Sounds like you are doing very, very well!
And I like how you have found a pocket of time in the morning after nursing. When my youngest was about 3-4 months I remember having that time for study then, too.
So glad you're keeping up and enjoying it. :)
So, what am I learning these days? I think the more appropriate questions is what am I not learning?
I am in one of those times where it seems everything is a great lesson. And the lessons in this time aren't always easy or comfy.
God is doing some pruning, some refining. It is good, but sometimes painful.
I'm just SO grateful He continues to be patient and teach me... the hard refining lessons along with the easy, gentle ones.
Your increasing desire and time spent in the Word is a blessing and encouragement to me!
Post a Comment