Monday, June 22, 2009

Insensitive or just not thinking

I try not to vent here, really, I do. But I am severely annoyed.

In talking to a friend lately I started to wonder why companies were surprised that employees were cutting their 401K contributions, and some even sent out emails reminding employees that this was so important...a couple weeks after they cut everyone's salaries and announced no more 401K matching. Insensitive? Rude? or Just not thinking?

There is a loud cry that we should all volunteer, all sign up to help out our communities this summer, to take volunteer vacations. That we should sign up for the big things, for the big projects. I am sure you know what I am talking about, but I am not going to give air time to that here. Please tell me how people are supposed to do this when many were forced to take vacation time per a company schedule, cannot afford time off work, are working 2 or more jobs, have the full time (or more) job of trying to find work or are simply overwhelmed because of the economic climate? Again, is this insensitive, rude, or just not thinking?

I guess I am just wondering when we, and I mean as a society, not just individuals, forgot how to be sensitive to each other, to speak kindly and supportively to each other, to look beyond our own situation to others. To look beyond our own cause to the people around us and their needs. To think about what it means to preach the Gospel of Jesus with our actions and our attitudes.

While 401K's are important, and volunteering is important, maybe the message should have been thought through before being addressed people who are struggling.

So can I say something? Volunteering? Great idea.

Might I suggest that you reach out to those in your neighborhoods who need help because they are struggling for one reason or another? Might I suggest spending time with children whose parents cannot be home with them this summer for one reason or another? Maybe helping a family who is moving? Helping a mom adjust to being home full-time? Maybe writing an encouraging note to someone you know who could use it? Sometimes the needs of others are huge to them, but easily met by you! And only you know your family's needs and abilities! (Just for the record, with 2 little ones we will not be signing up for a big project this summer, but I have a few things to do to reach out to my neighborhood like have some neighbors who are moving over for supper while they are in the midst of chaos, and taking over a snack for playtime with all the littles to give the mom a break).

While volunteering for big, time demanding projects is great, I guarantee you that if you reach out to someone near you it really does count. It might not change the world, but might just change that person's world.

Preach the gospel at all times, and if necessary use words
Francis of Assisi

3 comments:

Myrnie said...

Amen. The big projects are fun- blast out something with a hundred other people, and at the end of the day you can stand back and say "There. We did it." It's the day to day help that changes the world, but no one will ever know about it. Thanks for the reminder.

Reviekat said...

Oh - I was just ranting about this issue last night! A good friend of ours go to a local megachurch -the church is paying for people to come in and do their VBS, yet, they want our good friend to hire a babysitter and come in and 'watch' over the paid VBS workers for the week. Quite insensitive - and from a church even!

Whatever happened to volunteers working VBS and how insensitive was it to ask our friend to work 40+ hours for free plus have to pay for babysitting?

Alexandra said...

I think woman, especially mothers have always "volunteered" their time. It's natural for us to extend a helping hand.

I certainly don't have time for any big projects, but I do think it's a good message for young people, especially students. Rather than go to a drunken spring break(like so many do), volunteer during the break.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin