The funny thing lately has been that the worst of the pregnancy symptoms has not been the discomfort as my tummy grows, has not been the nausea, has not been trying to find clothes that fit, it has been the heart burn! And the usual methods of helping have not been working!
So last week I broke down and called our help nurse that we have through our doctor's office. What surprised me was all the natural and home methods she had to help! Surely I cannot be the only one with this problem, and so I thought I would share!
She recommended:
- five small meals instead of the usual 3
- sitting up after meals no matter how much I feel like laying down - a compromise is to sit with feet up on a stool, or some such arrangement.
- avoiding spicy food
- eating peppermints when the heartburn hits
- having a few sips of carbonated soda (decaf of course) when heartburn hits
And I would throw in enjoy baby kicking and moving because that definitely makes me feel better about the whole heartburn issue! :-)

![[the-library.jpg]](https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjZlgbkzq4RFoBQc3lUKiqnqmqJKJ_OvF8tsg4xUtv3A6fDdV2iaYc-f2GJHGXNypj1LPHuqZ8UPUpK7aA0NY7wN5lyaEYmIfFqYSDIxPYzg_rBBouE60A0LABiXUbdI73MhHN24Xb7-nc/s1600/the-library.jpg)
7 comments:
I've had terrible heartburn with all five of my pregnancies and have found that chewing gum after eating sometimes helps. Also, Tums works rather well. Though I'm not generally a "pill taker," I should buy stock in Tums. :) Also, don't wear anything tight around your waist! Hope that helps!
My last pregnancy I had HORRIBLE heartburn. One thing that worked for me (this is going to sound a bit bizarre) is a tablespoon or two of pickle juice or green olive juice. Something to do with the alkaline in the juice to balance out the acid in the stomach. Hope that doesn't sound to disgusting! I always craved both anyway! :)
The ONLY thing that worked during my pregnancy was an ice cold glass of fat free milk. I hated milk before I was pregnant, but I couldn't get enough of it during pregnancy.
Chewing gum was also a big help to me while pregnant...I couldn't believe how well it worked!
Tracy
I never get heartburn, but with my 2nd pregnancy I had it terrible. Not a thing worked. I was working, and I lived on those smooth orange Tums. My daughter had a crazy head of hair, wonder if yours will? Everyone told me she would, but I thought they were being silly. You will have to try to remember to post if your baby does or not, lol.
I just had a baby this last November..and I really had problems with heartburn towards the end. Tums really helped... Thats about it :(
I lived with a peppermint in my mouth at all times. Peppermints are relaxing and a natural help to an upset stomach. I'm still addicted.
Post a Comment